St Annes Cathedral Cork | Cathedrals Cork

St Annes Cathedral Cork | Cathedrals Cork

The Catholic Cathedral of St. Mary & St. Anne is “the Mother Church of the Dioceses of Cork and Ross” and was dedicated in 1808, (building had begun in 1799). It is the fourth church of this parish since, at least, 1306. The construction of the Cathedral was planned and overseen by Bishop Francis Moylan (Bishop of Cork 1787-1815).

By the 1860s it was necessary to enlarge St Annes Cathedral Cork due to the increase in the catholic community in the parish. Sir John Benson was commissioned in the 1860s by Bishop William Delany to undertake further extension work. This included the addition of a tower and belfry which brought the height of the cathedral to 152 feet, ten feet higher than the tower of the nearby St Anne's Church. The work was completed in 1869. In 1870, bells were added which were cast by the Murphy foundry in Dublin. More recently, the‌ Cathedral was extended further. This included the demolition of and extension of the sanctuary and construction of a sanctuary tower, 80 feet high, as well as rearranging the interior of the cathedral. This work was completed in 1968. By the 1990s it was necessary to carry out more renovations to the cathedral due to roof leaks. A major refurbishment was carried out on the cathedral in 1996 with the upgrade and refurbishment of the interior and tower, along with reslating the roof and repointing the exterior stonework.‌ In 2008 Saint ‌Mary’s and Saint Anne’s celebrated its bicentenary and a plaque was unveiled by the Bishop John Buckley.


Cathedral Address

Cathedral of St Mary and St Anne, Roman St, Blackpool, Cork 

 

St Annes Cathedral Cork | Cathedrals Cork