St Canices Cathedral Kilkenny | Kilkenny Cathedral

St Canices Cathedral Kilkenny | Kilkenny Cathedral

Cathedral Church of St Canice & Round Tower.

St Canice’s Cathedral is one of the most prominent sights in Kilkenny, which was once a splendid Medieval city. Many believe the construction of the massive Gothic cathedral began in the 1250s and was completed in 1285, but the religious roots of the site extend back to the 6th Century, when the Church of St Canice stood here. Over the years, the cathedral has maintained many of its 13th Century features despite the collapse of the central tower in 1332 and the overtaking of the property by Oliver Cromwell’s troops in 1650.


Kilkenny Cathedrals round tower is the oldest surviving structure in Kilkenny. Like the cathedral, it is built of local limestone, and is 30 metres tall with an external diameter of 4.5 metres. The plain arched doorway is 2.7 metres above ground level. Kilkenny Cathedral round tower is one of the few towers in Ireland that can still be climbed to the top via a series of steep internal ladders.


Cathedral Address

The Close, Coach Rd, Kilkenny, Ireland 

 

St Canices Cathedral Kilkenny | Kilkenny Cathedral