St Eugenes Cathedral Derry | Cathedrals Derry

St Eugenes Cathedral Derry | Cathedrals Derry

St Eugene's Cathedral Derry is the Roman Catholic cathedral located in Derry, Northern Ireland. It is the "Mother Church" for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Derry, as well as the parish Church of the parish of Templemore.

According to legend, Eugene was a monk from the Dublin area and foretold the coming of St Columba who in the 6th century a.d. founded a monastery in Derry. By the 12th century this had grown to become an impressive cathedral called ‘Teampall Mor’ (Big Church) which was located where the present Long Tower Church is. This served Derry for over 300 years before it was seized and almost destroyed by English Forces in 1568 when it was used as a gunpowder magazine. In 1600, Sir Henry Dowcra entered Derry with a force of 4,000 soldiers, tore down the ruins of Teampall Mór and used its stones to build the Derry Walls.

The Catholic Emancipation Act of 1829, the Catholic community was able to contemplate building a new Cathedral in Derry. The foundation stone for St Eugene’s Cathedral Derry was laid down on 26th July 1851. It was designed by J.J. McCarthy (1817-1882) who was the most outstanding church architect in Ireland.

St Eugenes Cathedral Derry 256 ft spire was only competed in 1903 due to a lack of funding. A statue of St Eugene is set in a niche in the tower above the main entrance doors. The bells still ring every night at 9 pm as a reminder of the Penal Laws which forbade Catholics to attend mass and subjected them to a 9 pm curfew.


Cathedral Address

Creggan St, Londonderry BT48 9AP 

 

St Eugenes Cathedral Derry | Cathedrals Derry