St Aidans Cathedral Enniscorthy | Cathedrals Wexford

St Aidans Cathedral Enniscorthy | Cathedrals Wexford

St. Aidan's Cathedral is the cathedral church of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Ferns. It is located in Enniscorthy, County Wexford, in Ireland. St. Aidan's Cathedral, Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford, for which the foundation stone was laid in 1843, was the largest church Pugin built in Ireland.

A monumental cathedral in Enniscorthy, the largest building in Ireland to designs prepared by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin (1812-52). Due to fears of potential collapse, the tower and spire were rebuilt under the supervision of J.J. McCarthy (1817-82).

Constructed in local stone with carved granite accents, it is quite an austere exterior. The interior contains stained glass panels by Lobin of Tours, Mayer of Munich, and Earley of Dublin, a pipe organ supplied by White and Son, Dublin, an altar signed by James Pearse (1839-1900) and Edmund Sharpe (1853-1930) of Dublin.

St Aidan's Cathedral Enniscorthy has been refurbished in recent years to the original plans of distinguished architect, Augustus Welby Pugin. Enniscorthy's Cathedral is named after patron saint of the Diocese of Ferns and is the religious centre for all major Roman Catholic ecclesiastical ceremonis.


Cathedral Address

Cathedral St, Templeshannon, Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford 

 

St Aidans Cathedral Enniscorthy | Cathedrals Wexford