St Johns Cathedral Limerick | Cathedrals Limerick

St Johns Cathedral Limerick | Cathedrals Limerick

St. John's Cathedral is a Roman Catholic cathedral in Limerick, Ireland. Designed by the architect Philip Charles Hardwick, St. John's Cathedral Limerick has been in continuous use since it was built in 1861. It replaced a chapel founded in 1753. The most recent restoration work carried out was in 2003/2004 on the roof and exterior stonework.

The Limerick firm of Messrs. Hennessey was commissioned to design the tower and it was completed in 1882. St John's cathedral was officially consecrated by Most Rev. Edward Thomas O’ Dwyer in June 1894. Three major programmes of reconstruction have taken place, one in the 1950’s and the second beginning in 1977. The third major restoration of the cathedral was completed by Dr. Donal Murray in June 2003 and took two years.

St Johns Cathedral Limerick alter is made of Limerick marble, and the substructure of alabaster and coloured marble, adorned in the centre by a group, carved in pure white alabaster, depicting the sacrifice of Abraham.

St. John's Cathedral Limerick, tower was designed in 1878 to stand at 274 feet 9 inches feet, on a base with walls that are four feet thick. The spirelettes at the top of the tower and at the base of the spire are themselves thirty feet high. The limestone for the tower was quarried at Rosbrien. The tower is one of the tallest in Ireland.


Cathedral Address

Cathedral Place, Limerick 

 

St Johns Cathedral Limerick | Cathedrals Limerick