Cathedral of the Assumption Carlow | Cathedral Carlow

Cathedral of the Assumption Carlow | Cathedral Carlow

The Cathedral of the Assumption is both the cathedral church of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Kildare and Leighlin and the parish church for the Cathedral parish. Located in Carlow town, the cathedral was dedicated to the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in 1833.

The cathedral’s architect was Thomas Cobden and it is generally regarded as his most outstanding church  building. The granite, neo-Gothic  exterior features a graceful entrance tower which rises some 46 metres and may have been modelled on the Cloth Hall in Bruges, Belgium and medieval towers in England.

Carlow Cathedral's tower and the façade incorporate some typical Cobden features and decorative flourishes. Before entering the church one should notice the memorial stones marking the burial places of bishops of Kildare and Leighlin.

The interior of Carlow Cathedral was originally designed with wooden altars and wooden altar rails. The roof was constructed from oak timbers from nearby Oak Park. The original altar rails were removed during renovations in the late nineteenth century and replaced with marble. The most recent refurbishment, which took place in the 1990s, has seen the removal of some of the additions and the reinstatement of Cobden’s original bishop’s throne. The choir stalls also date from Cobden’s time. Among the new features introduced in the 1990s is the baptismal font which is placed right under the central arch of the north transept.


Cathedral Address

College St, Graigue, Carlow Town, Carlow 

 

Cathedral of the Assumption Carlow | Cathedral Carlow