Christ Church Cathedral Lisburn | Cathedral Down

Christ Church Cathedral Lisburn | Cathedral Down

Christ Church Cathedral Lisburn is the cathedral church of the Diocese of Connor in the Church of Ireland. It is situated in Lisburn, Northern Ireland in the ecclesiastical province of Armagh.

In 1623 a church dedicated to St Thomas, on the site of the present Lisburn Cathedral as a chapel for the castle. St Thomas' Church was much smaller than the present cathedral but little is known about its architecture. In 1641 the town was attacked by a rebel army and the Church was destroyed.

The foundations of the second church were laid in 1642, rebuilding took 23 years. In 1662 Charles 2nd established the church of St Thomas as Christ Church Cathedral. In April 1707, the town of Lisburn and the church and castle were destroyed in a disastrous fire.

On 20th August 1708, "the foundation of the new Church of Lisburn began to be laid". Construction of the present building, the third to stand upon the site, continued for several years and was Christ Church Cathedral Lisburn completed in 1719.


Cathedral Address

24a Castle St, Lisburn, Down, Northern Ireland 

 

Christ Church Cathedral Lisburn | Cathedral Down