St Macartins Cathedral Enniskillen | Cathedral Fermanagh

St Macartins Cathedral Enniskillen | Cathedral Fermanagh

The first church building on the site was completed around 1627 as part of the original building of the town of Enniskillen. By 1832 that building had become structurally unsafe and was replaced by the present building, which was completed in 1842. The chancel was enlarged in 1889.

St. Macartin's Cathedral Enniskillen is one of two cathedral churches in the Diocese of Clogher in the Church of Ireland. It stands on high ground overlooking the town of Enniskillen, Fermanagh, Northern Ireland in the ecclesiastical province of Armagh.

At the west end of the Enniskillen Cathedral, there is a fine square tower with a spire, in which a peal of bells hangs.  These bells were taken down in 1935 and sent to Taylor’s of Loughborough for a major restoration works.

On 26 June 2012, Queen Elizabeth II attended a thanksgiving service at Enniskillen cathedral for her Diamond Jubilee. The service was led by Kenneth Hall, the Dean of Clogher. The prayers of intercession were read by Ken Lindsay, chairman of the Methodist Church in Ireland; Cardinal Seán Brady, Archbishop of Armagh and Dr. Roy Patton, moderator of the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland. After the service, the Queen made the short walk to St Michael’s Catholic Church where she met with representatives of local community groups. This was the first time she had visited a Catholic church in Northern Ireland.


Cathedral Address

2 Halls Ln, Enniskillen, Fermanagh, Northern Ireland 

 

St Macartins Cathedral Enniskillen | Cathedral Fermanagh