Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception Sligo | Sligo Cathedral

Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception Sligo | Sligo Cathedral

The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception on Temple Street in Sligo, Ireland, is the cathedral church of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Elphin. The cathedral was built in a Norman style and has an impressive spire at the front and large apse in the Sanctuary.

The man responsible for the building of the Cathedral was Bishop Laurence Gillooly. Born near Roscommon he studied in Paris before ordination as a Vincentian Priest in 1847. Appointed Bishop of Elphin in 1858, Bishop Gillooly decided that it was time the Diocese again had a Cathedral. Since 1827 St. John’s Parish Chapel, which stood near where the Cheshire Home is today, was recognised as the Pro Cathedral of the Diocese.


Cathedral Address

Temple Street, Sligo 

 

Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception Sligo | Sligo Cathedral