St Mary's Cathedral Kilkenny | Cathedral Kilkenny

St Mary's Cathedral Kilkenny | Cathedral Kilkenny

St Mary’s is the cathedral church of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Ossory. It is situated on James’s Street, Kilkenny, Ireland. Saint Mary’s was designed by William Deane Butler. He was chosen by Bishop William Kinsella who instigated the building of St. Mary’s in February 1842.

St Mary's Cathedral Kilkenny is a living place of faith and prayer. It is a parish church serving the needs of the parishioners of the oldest part of the Marble City. It is a place where hundreds have gathered in song and celebration, welcoming new bishops and newly ordained priests, witnessing weddings, burying the dead, celebrating First Communions, welcoming the Holy Spirit in Confirmation – a place that has celebrated life and death, joys and sorrows.


St Mary's Cathedral Kilkenny was described as “of pure Gothic design, built entirely of chiseled limestone and cruciform in shape”. St Mary's Cathedral Kilkenny tower which has become a landmark of the city was originally designed for St. Kieran’s College, and rises to a height of 186 feet. The high altar of Italian marble was purchased in Italy. The relics of Sts. Cosmos and Damian and St. Clement were brought from Rome. Those of St. Victoria came later. At its opening the Cathedral was like many of the churches at that time rather bereft of ornament. A statue of Our Lady by Benzoni who sculpted the O’ Connell monument in the Irish College in Rome and the Bianconi mortuary chapel in Boherlahan was later commissioned by Bishop Walsh and stands in the remodeled sanctuary. The railings around the Cathedral were added in 1862.


Cathedral Address

James’s Street, Kilkenny, Ireland 

 

St Mary's Cathedral Kilkenny | Cathedral Kilkenny